- Horror (719), Science Fiction (679), Fantasy (370), 1st in series (322), Leisure (183), Thriller (156), Western (153), Pulp (119), Novelization (95), Mystery (84), Omnibus (73), Non-fiction (73), Humor (67), Collection (66), Fiction (62), Warhammer (59), D&D (57), Anthology (49), Signet Classics (38), Warhammer 40k (36), Asimov's Robots (31), Robotech (25), Hard Case (24), Forgotten Realms (24), Eternal Champion (23), Unidentified Flying Objects (23), Vietnam War (22), Aliens (21), No Fear Shakespeare (20), Pinnacle (19), SparkNotes (19), Star Wars (18), Peanuts (16), Tor (15), Underwater (15), Conan (15), Gay (14), Robot City (12), The Loner (11), Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser (10), Lankhmar (10), Historical Fiction (10), Sandman (10), Foundation (10), Survivalist (10), Dark Sun (10), Galactic Empire (10), Trantor (10), True Crime (10), Area 51 (9), Lord of the Rings (9), Time of Legends (9), Resident Evil (9), The Spider (9), The Dark is Rising (9), New Journalism (8), Mailed for scanning (8), Myth series (8), Macross (8), Pseudoscience (8), Essays (8), Grand Tour (8), Gaunt's Ghosts (7), Green Mile (7), Lawman (7), Gotrek and Felix (7), Lake Wobegon (7), Greyhawk (7), Mammoth Horror (7), The Robert E. Howard Library (7), Dragonlance (7), Harry Potter (7), Dune (7), Moonshae Trilogy (7), Narnia (7), Yakima Henry (6), Psi-Man (6), Books of Blood (6), Deathstalker (6), Masters of Rome (6), Dark Future (6), Robots and Aliens (6), Best New Horror (6), Vampire Hunter D (6), Bachman books (6), Atlantis Series (6), Elric (6), Art (6), StarFist (6), Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (6), Venus Prime (6), Corum (6), Prism Pentad (5), Far Side (5), Forge of God (5), Eberron (5), Skinners (5), Sally Lockhart (5), Bio of a Space Tyrant (5), Rogue Lawman (5), The Dark Tower (5), Sentinels (5), Pern (5), John Savage (5), Weird Tales (5), Cosmos (5), Berserker (5), Eschaton (5), Space Odyssey (5), Longarm (5), Darkblade (5), Man From Boot Hill (5), The Weird Works of Robert E. Howard (5), Incarnations of Immortality (5), 30 Days of Night (4), Emperor (4), Nightside (4), Rogue Squadron (4), Anthology - 100... (4), Mathias Thulmann (4), New Generation (4), Demon Download (4), Blood Bowl (4), Norby (4), King Arthur (4), Shadow Saga (4), World War (4), X-Wing (4), Chung Kuo (4), 2000 A.D. (4), Alfred Hitchcock Presents (4), Endworld (4), Old Man's War (4), History of the Runestaff (4), Southern Cross (4), Beast House (4), Harrow House (4), The Hunger (4), Orangefield (4), Asimov Chronicles (4), Space Wolf (4), Hawkmoon (4), Robot Series (4), Blue Rose (4), Necroscope (4), Zebra Horror (4), Galactic Center (4), Time's Tapestry (4), Merchant Princes (4), Rings of the Master (4), Mephistopolis (3), Trey Campbell (3), Doom (3), Monster Hunter International (3), 2001 Nights (3), 'Pound' Taylor (3), USA Trilogy (3), Trident Force (3), Assassin's Creed (3), Buck Fletcher (3), News From the Edge (3), Straw Men (3), Mass Effect (3), Jacob Gamble (3), Bastion Wars (3), Book of Swords (3), Imperial Guards (3), Nick Lupo (3), Heavy Metal Pulp (3), Matt Slaughter (3), Blade and the Flame (3), Dancers at the End of Time (3), Dragonlance Legends (3), Daemon Gates Trilogy (3), Replaced (3), Elijah Baley and R. Daneel Olivaw (3), Icewind DaleTrilogy (3), Clockwork Vampire (3), Bouty Hunter Wars (3), Barsoom (3), Matt Richter (3), Kane of Old Mars (3), Starcraft (3), Quarry (3), Abbadon Inn (3), Deathlands (3), Kilkenny (3), Zorro (3), Abyss (3), Eon (3), Elminster (3), Hyperion (3), Manifold (3), Han Solo Trilogy (3), Time Odyssey (3), Tribe of One (3), Age of Discovery (3), Hellblazer (3), Republic Commando (3), Sunset Warrior (3), The Word and the Void (3), The Laundry (3), Destiny's Children (3), Netherworld (3), Lewis Barnavelt (3), Ravirn (3), Mobile Suit Gundam (3), Tenth Planet (3), Brunner (3), Dark Elf Trilogy (3), John Carter of Mars (3), Tales of the Otori (3), Oswald Bastable (3), Final Friends (3), Replacement (3), Dragonlance Chronicles (3), Last Herald-Mage (3), Felix Castor (3), The Veil (3), A Vision of Beasts (3), Book of the Gods (3), His Dark Materials (3), John Constantine (3), Forever War (3), Wonderland Gambit (3), Myst (3), The Living Dead (3), The Sundering (3), Star Trek (3), The Erevis Cale Trilogy (3), Caliban (3), Heorot (2), Red Dragon Rising (2), Millennium (2), The Bookman Histories (2), Pax Britannia (2), Secret Histories (2), Pirate Hunters (2), Glass Eaters (2), Carmen Dula (2), Fantastic Voyage (2), Travis Chase (2), El Sombra (2), Book of the New Sun (2), Endwar (2), Colt Farrow (2), The Strain Trilogy (2), Thanquol and Bone Ripper (2), Abarat (2), Newsflesh Trilogy (2), Department 18 (2), Knights of Bretonnia (2), HardWired (2), Revivors (2), Darwin (2), Flood (2), Commonwealth Saga (2), John Blake (2), Hawk and Fisher (2), Lucifer Box (2), Future History (2), MEG (2), Landover (2), Edge series (2), Ghost Recon (2), Night's Dawn (2), Slaine (2), Solomon Kane (2), Dirk Gently (2), Nonfiction (2), Ring (2), Oz (2), Arabian Nights (2), Blackjack (2), The Lay of Slaine Mac Roth (2), Fargo (2), Sidewinder (2), Von Carstein Trilogy (2), Deepgate Codex (2), Airborn (2), Metal Gear (2), Near Space (2), Cities in Flight (2), Two-Minute Mysteries (2), Hollower (2), Slaves to Darkness (2), Dr. Haledijan (2), Dancing Gods (2), The Witcher (2), Bowdrie (2), Central Control (2), Nate Heller (2), The Eschaton (2), Gamma World (2), Cal McDonald (2), Genghis (2), Den (2), Albany Cycle (2), Frank Black (2), Bill the Galactic Hero (2)
- Nube de Etiquetas, Nube de autores, Espejo de etiquetas
- Atheism and humanism, Atheist Fiction, Banned Books, BBC Radio 3 Listeners, Bestsellers over the Years, Book Fiend, Book reviewers, Bookshelf of the Damned, Brights, Combiners!, Fans of Robert R. McCammon, Gay Men, Happy Heathens, Hardboiled / Noir Crime Fiction, Historical Fiction, Horror, Horror Book Club, King's Dear Constant Readers, Name that Book, Pro and Con, Progressive & Liberal!, Pulp Fiction, Queery, Review Discussions, Reviews reviewed, Science Fiction Fans, Science!, Skeptic's book club, Stephen King Addicts, The Globe: Shakespeare, his Contemporaries, and Context, The Green Dragon, The Literati, The Weird Tradition, Thing(amabrarian)s That Go Bump in the Night, This Is Halloween..., True Crime, Weird Fiction, Westerns
- May 11, 2007
- Nombre verdadero
- James Seger
- Sobre mi biblioteca
- A book with no rating means I haven't read it or it's been so long that I should re-read it. That's most of my books!
I try to feed my head with decent literature, but a quick scan of my library shows that really I'm a horror junky who loves a generous dose of hard sci-fi and some historical fiction on the side. My latest addiction is pulpy, schlocky westerns.
I really enjoy American lit from the first half of the twentieth century. Steinbeck is my very favorite author, but I also love Fitzgerald and Hemingway. I've tried some Faulkner and Sinclair Lewis and some others, but so far no one else has moved me the way those big three have.
My true love is horror stories. I think it stems from my interest in folk tales and urban legends. I really go for stories of the supernatural invading everyday life. I don't like endless series about weepy, erotic vampires in black lace. I like my horror stories to have strong characters. They seem to make the supernatural hi-jinks easier to swallow. My favorite writers are Stephen King (except the Dark Tower books. I tend to skip those), Peter Straub and Bentley Little.
I read a lot of fantasy as a kid, but I think I grew out of it once I discovered Arthur C. Clarke and hard sci-fi. I've tried picking up some fantasy since then, but it just doesn't have the magic it once did. (Except maybe for Michael Moorcock...) I do still like reading stuff from the pulp days. Fritz Leiber goes sadly unrecognized as a fantasy grand master. Love Robert E. Howard's stuff. He seems to be the antithesis of what fantasy is nowadays.
I love sci-fi in the 2001 mold. Near future stories set within the solar system about encounters with aliens or alien artifacts. Usually very technical descriptions of life in space with pretty flat characters. Steven Baxter is my favorite current writer. I also love Isaac Asimov and as mentioned Arthur C. Clarke.
Shogun introduced me to the wonder of historical fiction. I especially have a soft spot for ancient Greece and Rome. Some of my favorites are Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire, Colleen McCullough's The Song of Troy and Steven Saylor's Roma Sub Rosa books.
I've only listed books here if I currently own them myself. (My better half has a slew of Dean Koontz books for instance, but I don't consider them 'mine' so they aren't listed.)
- Sobre mí
- I'm currently reading: | I've recently finished:
Books first, since this is a book site after all: I love scary stories and have a real soft spot for first time authors. I buy way too many books to reasonably read (especially since I consider myself a slow reader). I only read one book at a time. Otherwise I feel like I'm short-changing the author.
I like to carry my books with me everywhere I go (and I'm a cheap bastard), so I prefer good old mass market paperbacks. I will pick up trade paperbacks if that is all that is available, but avoid hardbacks.
I am perhaps a little too verbose in my reviews. I write like I talk. Can't help it.
In order to support my obscene book buying habit, I maintained a seasonal position at Barnes & Noble. I don't do it any longer. Took too much time. But I kinda miss it. Please put books away if you aren't going to buy them!
Other stuff: Born and raised in California, but cheap real estate brought me to the suburban hell that is The Woodlands, TX (a few miles outside of Houston).
I'm kind of a boring person and at times think I could be happy as a hermit. I'm a left-leaning atheist, which makes me a pariah whenever politics or religion come up in public here in Dubya's home state.
Like everybody else, I enjoy books, movies and music (books most of all). In all three I've noticed that I can enjoy Great Works and crap. But I always have some sort of justification for the crap I enjoy.
As for movies, I love horror movies (especially John Carpenter's stuff) and anything by Stanley Kubrick, Steven Spielberg or Sergio Leone. I'm also a big fan of Godzilla or any of the other Toho giant monster movies. For me it just doesn't get better than a man in a rubber suit knocking over buildings, unless it's two men in rubber suits fighting and knocking over buildings. Yeah, baby! That's the good stuff!
I won't bore you with my fav music.
Create your own visitor map!
- The Woodlands, Texas
- También en
- Actualmente leyendo
- Autores Favoritos
- Favoritos del sitio
Conexiones de miembros
- AlanDraven, ALWINN, astrofluff, beeg, bibliorex, bjbookman, bobmcconnaughey, CandiBelle, CurrLee33, daddygoth, DChurch71, Deejaytee, dvdbokbulimiker, edgeworth, greenfuzzydice, heinous-eli, herstorian, Huge_Horror_Fan, JeremyCShipp, jonhovis, KentAllard1, kswolff, Lunar, MikeKo, NickCato, Pulpfan, RabidPete, scottnicholson, ScribbleScribe, silversurfer, SirStuckey, stefferjo, The_NML_Advoc8, TheBentley, unorna, Xiguli
- Biblioteca interesante
Este sitio utiliza cookies para ofrecer nuestros servicios, mejorar el rendimiento, análisis y (si no estás registrado) publicidad. Al usar LibraryThing reconoces que has leído y comprendido nuestros Términos de Servicio y Política de Privacidad. El uso del sitio y de los servicios está sujeto a estas políticas y términos.