You might have hit on a short window when search was down. Touchstones involve a site search, so whenever site search is down, so are touchstones.
Seems a bit spotty. I have a long list that seems to be trying to work... But, it just timed out.
But a couple of posts I made with just one did work.
Yes, it's a bug, but this is a work around util they get fixed.
>12 dchaikin: "The solution is to refresh the page" Do you refresh before or after re-posting an edited post?
yesterday and 4 worked fine. Two did not. I noticed a spelling error so I went in to edit it and when I saved it all my touchstones that were working are now gone. I tried one or two of the suggestions above with no success. This is my first failure like this, for what it's worth. The last time I really paid any attention to them was back in October, I think. I'm running Google Chrome on a Windows 10 Pro operating system that is up to date. FYI
Yep, on a fritz again. I was updating my series list today and every update had been fine until the last one (and now all attempt to edit end up with "504 Gateway Time-out") where touchstones will usually be. Looks like search is broken. Again ;) Which causes the touchstones to get broken...
Some books oddly won't touchstone, either. Had to backspace through the bracket on 24535874::Perestroika in Paris on my last post here like 5 times to get it to stop saying no results. Had the same issue before with The Taming of the Shrew.
Thank you, a bit more time consuming but probably worth it in the long run. Reselecting the correct works on a long post whose touchstones vanished is also time consuming.
Not working at the moment and can't tell if it's a site wide issue or I'm doing it wrong, but I get the concept, I'll figure it out eventually haha.
Note: This isn't about the "504 Gateway Time-out", like in >15 AnnieMod: (I do get this too - but I consider it "normal"). This is about when the touchstone tool simply doesn't work and won't active.
Above are touchstones.====
The generation of all three touchstones took about two minutes. That's not seconds, but minutes, timed.
On the first edit, I can see the touchstone below the text box... and the touchstones remain in the message after saving.
On the second edit, the touchstone links don't appear below the text box. They don't appear from fiddling with the titles or deleting to re-enter the brackets. Waiting two minutes doesn't bring about their appearance. The Preview feature doesn't show the links. There's also no waiting icon or error message.
The links don't return in the third edit, either. I've now spent more than ten minutes on this one message.
I am able to use the site search just fine. But Touchstones are not working.
1) If I type the links to a few posts in one posts (ie >post number), the links fail and I just get a list of numbers. I'm seeing this both on my iPad Air (Safari/ iOS 12.something) and on my desktop (Safari/ OS Big Sur) (and also Firefox).
See https://www.librarything.com/topic/328123#7366303 for example.
2) I'm finding touchstones (the ones that do work) very slow to load, even from my catalogue pages.
Hey, look, a touchstone! Now let's edit the message.
Oddly, it took me several minutes of fiddling with Mark Twain's touchstone to get it generate, while the others came up immediately.
Now let's see what this message looks like with an edit (this additional line).
I had a post in mid-December, I think, that was a list of books. That one didn't work. Even the first time. Editing didn't help.
More recently I also had one that was initially fine (just one touchstone in that post), but I went in to edit something else and I lost the touchstone.
ETA: I am, however, going on memory.
Safari/ Big Sur
I think it may only be happening for posts with many touchstones. I need to find out just how many is the tipping point...
That's how it used to work. Many people have reported encountering it for cases with a single touchstone. The problem is that it's sporadic, which suggests it may be related to the general search flakiness - if they happen to edit the post when search is down or slow, even a single touchstone is lost.
I notice lately that sometimes i get one edit with touchstones working. Then the second edit they die.
Solution is still to refresh page first, then edit, check touchstones and save. This has worked 100% of the time for me.