- Todas las colecciones (10,396), Tu biblioteca (6,276), Lo he leído pero no lo tengo (4,127), Actualmente leyendo (81), Por leer (3,441), Howese (3,247), Storage (109), Office (734), Electronic book (1,988), On Loan (13), AEO (34), Lost or Missing or Never to be Returned (169), Bethesda (76), Favoritos (199), Lista de deseos (42)
- read in Pittsburgh (2,787), sold (1,679), fantasy (1,519), donated (1,489), science fiction (1,446), read in grad school (Madison) (1,431), mystery (1,049), read in Santa Fe (grad student / post-doc) (1,028), returned (915), series mystery (815), comics (805), history (737), audiobook (561), reviewed (495), read in college (491), library (482), read in Ann Arbor (post-doc) (421), horror (421), philosophy (379), historical fiction (372), statistics (336), popular science (319), guilty pleasures (311), contemporary fantasy (289), space opera (279), romance (273), read in high school (264), short stories (259), gave up (255), economics (249), mathematics (248), history of ideas (218), amateur sleuths (211), physics (199), history of science (197), 20th century history (195), superheroes (191), cultural criticism (188), popular social science (184), psychology (184), historical mystery (180), literary fiction (176), thriller (170), China (167), early modern history (159), historical fantasy (157), stochastic processes (154), New York (154), biology (151), Central Asia (149), ancient history (145), memoirs (144), affectionate parody (142), American history (141), philosophy of science (141), photos (137), psycho killers (135), statistical theory (133), Markov models (132), military science fiction (130), art book (128), the progressive forces (128), fantasy epic (125), sociology (125), poems (122), Europe (120), travelers' tales (115), Afghanistan (115), read as a boy (114), psychoceramics (106), literary criticism (105), dynamical systems (104), 19th century history (104), swords and sorcery (101), review copy (100), meddling private investigators (97), police procedural (97), lives of the scientists (97), statistical mechanics (95), India (95), advanced probability (93), London (93), vampires (92), parallel worlds (92), cognitive science (90), political philosophy (90), social life of the mind (88), by people I know (88), crime fiction (87), Cthulhiana (87), debunking (87), art history (87), occult mystery (87), Marxism (87), evolutionary biology (86), satire (86), political economy (85), Communism (84), parody (83), US politics (82), world history (82), alternate history (81), information theory (81), machine learning (80), Italy (80), social science methodology (80), science fantasy (78), USSR (78), ethics (76), imperialism (76), epistemology (76), warrior women (75), neuroscience (73), anthropology (73), maniacal cultists (72), complexity (72), Christianity (72), time series (71), spy stories (71), economic history (67), hard science fiction (67), archaeology (66), theoretical biology (65), democracy (65), something about America (65), data analysis (64), finance (64), socialism (64), what's gone wrong with America (64), history of philosophy (63), sea stories (63), lives of the scholars (63), southern California (62), lives of the artists (62), apocalypse fiction (62), Japan (61), high fantasy (61), ancient Greece (61), begun in grad school (60), collective cognition (60), European history (59), institutions (59), ergodic theory (59), becoming post-human (58), diabolical conspiracies (58), self-organization (58), alien invasion (58), hard-boiled (58), social theory (58), mundanes in wonderland (57), time travel (56), the French Disease (56), Islamic civilization (56), post-apocalyptic (56), urban fantasy (56), networked life (55), stochastic modeling (55), dragons (55), social networks (55), the Enlightenment (54), England (54), Pittsburgh (54), apocalypticism (53), regression (53), inequality (52), architecture (52), literary essays (52), New Mexico (51), cozy mystery (50), defenses of liberalism (50), historical materialism (50), the American dilemma (50), teaching: statistics of inequality and discrimination (49), the matter of Middle Earth (49), clerical mystery (48), programming (48), modernity (48), Napoleonic wars (47), lives of the writers (47), learning theory (47), outbreaks from the dungeon dimensions (46), dying Earth (46), chaos (46), history of technology (46), alien contact (46), liberalism (46), cybernetics (45), mythology (45), food (45), the great transformation (45), screwball (45), pattern formation (45), the running dogs of reaction (44), scientific revolution (44), American South (44), cultural evolution (44), textbooks I'd teach from (44), slayers (44), fascism (44), linguistics (43), criticism of criticism of criticism (43), vengeance is mine! (43), computer science (43), philosophical psychology (43), Roman Empire (42), secret history (42), ghosts (42), the Renaissance (42), zombies (42), medieval history (42), prediction (42), New England (42), racism (41), education (41), alien artifacts (41), diffusions (41), Tang Dynasty (41), revolution (41), musical obsessions (41), intellectual history (40), social history (40), cellular automata (40), malevolent mind control (40), logic (40), statistical inference for stochastic processes (40), causal inference (40), estimation (39), bounded rationality (39), history of religion (39), asymptotic statistics (39), smut (39), pragmatism (39), fee for manuscript review (39), Maine (38), werewolves (38), western (38), Discworld (38), philosophical essays (38), data mining (38), networks (37), upstate New York (37), mathematical biology (37), laptop (37), visions of American decline (37), the Silk Road (37), improbable human-alien relations (37), ancient Rome (37), journeys to the underworld (37), Antarctica (36), graphical models (36), ethnography (36), economics of imperfect competition (36), non-parametrics (36), intrepid reporters (36), medieval Eurasian history (35), evolutionary psychology (35), moral psychology (35), forensic mystery (35), coming of age (35), race (35), ecology (35), essays (35), hypothesis testing (35), spirits of places (35), Washington (35), political science (34), the sorcerer's apprenticeship (34), dreamlands (34), Native American history (34), theoretical computer science (34), econometrics (34), tart noir (34), history of manners and morals (34), projects: in Soviet Union optimization problem solves you (34), haunted house (33), artificial intelligence (33), tiresome (33), practices relating to the transmission of genetic information (33), 18th century history (33), poetry (33), history of tastes (33), distributed systems (33), feminism (33), Chinoiserie (32), collective social behavior (32), natural philosophy (32), campus novel (32), R (32), human evolution (32), the Cold War (32), connectionism (32), intellectuals in politics (32), noir (32), resurrections gone awry (32), fairy tales retold (32), stories within stories (31), law (31), demons (31), scientist fiction (31), Florida (31)
- Nube de Etiquetas, Nube de Autores, Etiquetado Inverso
- Se unió
- Jun 5, 2006
- Nombre verdadero
- Cosma Shalizi
- About My Library
- This is (or will be, when I finish adding books) the union of what I own with what I've read since 1994 or so. Some of what I've returned to libraries, sold, given away, etc., is marked as such.
Rating is sporadic and approximate. Roughly: 5 = "personal favorite; you must read this, at least if you're me"; 4 = very good (either for entertainment or instruction). 3.5 = good but not very good. 3 = OK, not painful. 2 = bad. 1 = horrible.
Reviews are links to my website.
Tagging is sporadic, not particularly consistent, and opinionated.
Reading and purchase dates are only sporadically entered. Many are approximate, because I only recorded month or academic year. (Yes, it's probably OCD-spectrum to record the date in the first place.)
- Acerca de mí
- Weblog: Three-Toed Sloth, http://bactra.org/weblog/
- Shadyside, Pittsburgh, PA
- Página principal
- Also On
- Actualmente Leyendo
- Elements of Reason: Cognition, Choice, and the Bounds of Rationality (Cambridge Studies in Public Opinion and Political por Arthur LupiaRace and the Invisible Hand: How White Networks Exclude Black Men from Blue-Collar Jobs (George Gund Foundation Book in por Deirdre A. RoysterMathematical Foundations of Infinite-Dimensional Statistical Models (Cambridge Series in Statistical and Probabilistic Mathematics) por Evarist GinéPublic Sphere and Experience: Analysis of the Bourgeois and Proletarian Public Sphere por Oskar NegtThe Rain Wilds Chronicles: Dragon Keeper, Dragon Haven, City of Dragons, and Blood of Dragons por Robin HobbReal Analysis: Measure Theory, Integration, and Hilbert Spaces (Princeton Lectures in Analysis Book 3) por Elias M. SteinA Journal of the Plague Year, written by a citizen who continued all the while in London por Daniel DefoeStochastic Epidemic Models with Inference (Mathematical Biosciences Subseries Book 2255) por Tom BrittonStatistical Inference via Convex Optimization (Princeton Series in Applied Mathematics Book 69) por Anatoli JuditskyThe Devil in History: Communism, Fascism, and Some Lessons of the Twentieth Century por Vladimir TismaneanuStochastic Epidemic Models with Inference (Lecture Notes in Mathematics vol. 2255, Mathematical Biosciences Subseries) por Tom BrittonDecentralized Control of Complex Systems (Dover Books on Electrical Engineering) por Dragoslav D. SiljakPolitical Junkies: From Talk Radio to Twitter, How Alternative Media Hooked Us on Politics and Broke Our Democracy por Claire Bond Potter7 Rules of Power: Surprising--but True--Advice on How to Get Things Done and Advance Your Career por Jeffrey PfefferDesigning for Democracy: How to Build Community in Digital Environments (Oxford Studies in Digital Politics) por Jennifer Forestal
- Autores Favoritos
- Eric Ambler, Stanislav Andreski, Stanislaw Andrzejewski, V. I. Arnold, W. Ross Ashby, Iain Banks, Jacques Barzun, Greg Bear, John Tyler Bonner, Raymond Boudon, Samuel Bowles, Ernest Bramah, Lois McMaster Bujold, Italo Calvino, William H. Calvin, Andrea Camilleri, L. Sprague de Camp, Karel Čapek, Lauren Henderson, C. J. Cherryh, Arthur C. Clarke, Norman Cohn, Evan S. Connell, Frederick C. Crews, E. E. Cummings, Avram Davidson, Daniel C. Dennett, Joan Didion, Lord Dunsany, Greg Egan, Barbara Ehrenreich, Harlan Ellison, Warren Ellis, Jon Elster, Hans Magnus Enzensberger, Anne Fadiman, John M. Ford, Anatole France, Neil Gaiman, John Kenneth Galbraith, Ernest Gellner, Andy Goldsworthy, Larry Gonick, Martin H. Greenberg, Ursula K. Le Guin, Robert van Gulik, Ian Hacking, Jane Haddam, J. B. S. Haldane, Sparkle Hayter, P. C. Hodgell, Marshall G. S. Hodgson, Barry Hughart, Robert Hughes, Shirley Jackson, Russell Jacoby, William James, Steven Johnson, James Joll, Diana Wynne Jones, Mark Kac, Wendy Kaminer, Rosemary Kirstein, Philip Kitcher, Leszek Kolakowski, Paul Krugman, Jane Langton, Larry Laudan, Stanisław Lem, John Leonard, Laura Lippman, H. P. Lovecraft, Ken MacLeod, William Leonard Marshall, Patricia A. McKillip, Robin McKinley, William McNeill, P. B. Medawar, Edna St. Vincent Millay, Christopher Moore, Franco Moretti, Philip Morrison, Joseph Needham, Friedrich Nietzsche, Patrick O'Brian, Heinz R. Pagels, Robert Pinsky, Katha Pollitt, Karl Popper, William Poundstone, Richard Powers, Terry Pratchett, W. V. Quine, I. A. Richards, Phil Rickman, David Ruelle, Bertrand Russell, Will Shetterly, Herbert A. Simon, Karin Slaughter, John Maynard Smith, Jonathan D. Spence, Dan Sperber, L. Susan Stebbing, Aurel Stein, Bruce Sterling, Peter Straub, Stephen Edelston Toulmin, Yi-Fu Tuan, Catherynne M. Valente, Jack Vance, Paula Volsky, Voltaire, Arthur Waley, Jill Paton Walsh, Norbert Wiener, Walter Jon Williams, William Carlos Williams, Connie Willis, Arthur T. Winfree, Roger Zelazny, Hans Zinsser
- Local Favorites
Librerías: Aunt Agatha's, Avol's Bookstore, Caliban Bookshop, Collected Works Bookstore and Coffeehouse, Dawn Treader Book Shop, Moe's Books, Nicholas Potter, Bookseller, Shaman Drum, The Other Change of Hobbit, University Press Books
Bibliotecas: Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh -- Main (Oakland), Doe Library - University of California, Berkeley, Harlan Hatcher Graduate Library - University of Michigan, International House Library, University of California, Berkeley, University of Wisconsin - Madison - Memorial Library
Conexiones entre socios
- Interesting Library
- amira, ariddell, arthegall, asarwate, AsYouKnow_Bob, bowers, CapitainImperio, cyneller, DrTao, elizabethleewilmer, EmreSevinc, FRCNRS3409, gregfromgilbert, helendewitt, hyndman, idlethink, igus, j.a.lesen, jbdelong, JeannineHallGailey, jedharris, jeremyfreese, JohnAGoldsmith, kiplet, knepveu, languagehat, leememorin2006, lemniscate, marthawells, Maurice_Joost, neurolibrary, pdturney, rpuchalsky, siow, tbmurphy, TimothyBurke, TomSlee, tori_alexander